Creed Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who should I main ?

4 posters

Go down

Who should I main ? Empty Who should I main ?

Post by Kine² 2016-08-27, 05:02

Kine's playtime stats: Out of 1,172 matches played

(percentage played)
Widow: 11%
Pharah: 11%
Zarya: 7%
Symm: 7%
Lucio: 6%
Zen: 6%
McCree: 5%
Torb: 4%
Mercy: 4%
all the rest about 3-4%

*** safe to say, I played all Heroes a decent amount of time over 1000 matches with closely similar win rates on each bar a few exceptions ***

Least played: Bastion with 13 matches over 1000 games.

Highest win rate:
Quickplay - Symmetra 70%
Competitive - Symmetra 83% - Lucio 70%

Best Hero performance by category:

Offense: Reaper / Genji (~ 60% at 45 and 35 matches respectively)
Defense: Torb (55% over 50 matches)
Tank: Zarya (60% over 80 matches)
Support: Symmetra (70% over 80 matches)

--

https://www.overbuff.com/players/pc/KINE-11590

--

I think it's about time I started maining someone and be the best at it ?
Yes its a question coz I'm unsure if that's how Overwatch is played.

I'm good at reading plays and my own team on top of the enemy so me counter picking usually ends better compared to someone else trying to do that job. Wholly my personal opinion but overall win rates say it doesn't matter much. If I'm bound to lose, I still lose.

The other problem is this love hate relationship I have with playing Healer. 9 out of 10 clutch plays I make in pub matches has been me turning the tide as Mercy or Lucio. Ofc nobody sees it but I know what I did and what would've happened if I hadn't. Except - I hate baby sitting idiots. It's awesome when I can combo with people who knows how to get healed..

So I've been thinking now that I'm back and preparing for Season 2:

Do I main a couple Heroes ?
or do I stay jack of all trades ?
If I do main ... which ones ?

Thoughts ??
Kine²
Kine²
Eternal Creed Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjj8DxQTp5YCFWZ4jchp_Mw

Back to top Go down

Who should I main ? Empty Re: Who should I main ?

Post by Tricky 2016-08-27, 10:44

Does having a main really work in Overwatch? More often than not you need to react to your teams mercs, other teams mercs and what suits the map. Depends who you regularly play with too. I think that's one of the strengths of OW in that it encourages mixing up the merc choices and play strategies.

I'm not at your level, but I'm just focusing on 4-5 that suit my play style and what can help the team win.
Tricky
Tricky

Back to top Go down

Post by Kine² 2016-08-27, 14:22

In competitive the meta is 2-2-2

2 tanks
2 healers
2 dps

Mercy + Reinhart is your core healer tank pair.

You run Zarya to combo ult with DPS'ers and switch to Winston if enemy Genji / Tracer / Hanzo / Widowmaker is actually good. Or when you know you can dive their Mercy with Winston easily.

Lucio is core on KotH and any claustraphobic capture points replacing Mercy on those. Otherwise he's the 2nd healer whose main job is to counter ult with breaking it downs.

the 2 DPS can be anything even another tank if you can do decent damage on those.

9 / 10 competitive matches I played had these rigid setups (minus the nub matchups that happen now and again)

So:

Mercy
Lucio *
Reinhart
Zarya *
DPS
DPS

Honestly ... not much counter picking in ranked. The steps at selection are basically:

1. Do you need to run 2 healers ?
2. If solo healer, Mercy or Lucio ?
3. What's your second tank ? (Zarya/Winston) if unimportant can I run DVa guys ?
4. If solo healer do you stack DPS or Tank

Majority of counterpicks start with your DPS - if they aren't killing enough people start tuning their choices. Typically its a fine tuning process. Rein might complain about a good Pharah and asks one of the DPS'ers to spawn Soldier for eg.

Big counterpicks rarely happen and only when shit starts going sideways for the enemy like they're going 4 tanks or stack tracers for the final cap etc and we have to deal with that. Or they could be holding with a pocket Bastion+ Reihart on capture point and we have 45 seconds to retake or lose. Or someone on the enemy team is doing wayy too well on something which again is rare.

Outside of these rare situations, counter picks is not the norm in competitive. It's mostly how you combo with your own team rather than how to break the enemy's due to prevailing meta and how you compete in an organized environment.

Watch pro matches on Youtube and count how many times pro teams actually counterpick someone on the other side. It happens but rarely.

---

So basic setup is:

Mercy
Lucio
Reinhart
Zarya/Winston
DPS (hitscan - usually soldier or mccree)
DPS (ult or utility - usually reaper or junkrat or pharah)

--

It doesn't vary too wildly from that setup and often times only one guy switches Heroes around to fine tune from reaper to pharah or zarya to winston or Lucio to 3rd DPS / Tank

--

Is there a need for mains ?
I would confidently say yes.

Mercy and Reinhart for example isn't for everybody. You can have low playtimes with some heroes and still do your job decently picking them out of the blue like Reaper for example. But if you don't main Mercy and try playing her versus experienced ranked players in competitive who do nothing but focus down the healer .... it's not going to be pretty.

Same goes for all tanks. There's a right and wrong way of doing things. Most people who complain about bad team mates when they tank is most likely doing it wrong without realizing it. It isn't as harsh as playing Mercy but there is a big difference between a legit Zarya main and someone who got inspired watching a Korean girl kick ass on youtube lets try Zarya out player.

Both Pharah and Junkrat have nuances to their game play. Although its more forgiving in the hands on an inexperienced player, you can instantly spot if some one is a Pharah or Junkrat main when they constantly pressure you with gold damage performance all over the map.
Kine²
Kine²
Eternal Creed Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjj8DxQTp5YCFWZ4jchp_Mw

Back to top Go down

Post by azh 2016-08-30, 19:12

From overbuff it looks like your lucio, rein, and ana are the best.
azh
azh
Creed Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BananaCreamMan 2016-09-14, 02:26

Lol why you ask us what you wanna main is beyond me.while being the jack of all trades is good like you said, I always thought that mastering 1 of each class ( support defense attack and tank - especially sense there is a new tank meta it would be great to learn a tank and a good tank buster ) I recommend mcree reaper tracer and any tank of your choice. While it seems that you have already mastered almost everything ( or at least decent ) I can't really add much. All I can say is that I enjoy tracer, so maybe you will too ? I just think she is the fastest paced character and the best.
BananaCreamMan
BananaCreamMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum